Monday, January 18, 2010

Entry. 3, On to the next movement

As for last week:
- yep, I've got compositional ADHD. It jumps around a lot, and touches on parts which are cool-sounding, but then goes on to something else.
- Have to check to make sure it's physically possible- the triplet notes turn around sometimes and that'd be just awkward. I tried to play it but failed. Then again, I tried to play O Canada for keyboard harmony and...Canada is ashamed of me.
- the triplets were cool, especially against the eighth notes...Except I only did that once. Heh.
- it takes a bit too long to get to the 'groove' whic I totally agree with. See, I was aiming for a piece which was roughly 2 minutes long...Not 2 pages long. Because it's quicker, I figure it's alright to go beyond 2 pages, and there're a lot f notes in each bar, filling up more space and Finale makes bars bigger to support all those notes. Lon story short, make the long story short-er. :)

Now onto the next thinger.

I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty. I'm going to write something pretty.

See, if I tell myself that, maybe it'll happen.

By nature, I don't write 'pretty' music. Funky, dissonant, angry, unhappy, but not pretty. Well, except for 'Subconscious,' but I don't count that because I wrote it in my sleep. I've written very simple stuff before which has turned out to be pretty, but that's just because I wrote it back when I thought the chord progression I IV V I was pretty darn fantastic. If I could I'd totally go back and give my adolescent self a good smack and say STOPPIT. I probably would've cried. Then grown-up me would have laughed. Yeah, I don't think we'd get along too well, myself and I.

But I'm trying. A slower tempo, more upper register, and it's going to be simple..Simple-er, at least. I actually wrote some of it while sitting at the piano. It took about 83.5 times longer than it would if I'd been sitting at the computer, but that's usually how I come up with my themes to begin with. I just start playing stuff...Which is why my music does not usually sound pretty. Glad to have finally figured that one out! See, I wrote a piece for violin (with piano accompaniment- I was so proud ofmyself!) over the Christmas break and it's decently pretty because I play it. And I eft out everything hard because I have to play this piece in the music festival and possibly in my recital if Nancy likes it.

OFF TOPIC. Anywho, I've written something I'm pretty sure I like. Yet again, it kind of goes from an introduction with its own themes and motif-things, then moves into a slightly different part which has the same little nuances here and there. I've kept the piece fairly short so it's kind of a...Thought, I guess. A wee musical thought. And it's kind of pretty! So I think, anyway. My perception could be compleeeetely off. But it's as much as I'd like to do for now, and think that this music thought is just about long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment