Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Entry 7. This is NOT an entry.

This is not a blog entry.
It's not even a figment of your imagination.
It doesn't exist at all. Neither do any other 'blogs' which I may or may not have written.
Because I haven't written any- if you think so, you're delusional.
This is not a blog entry.
If, and this is a far stretch of the imagination, it does become a blog entry- which it definitely will not- it won't be funny. It won't be witty, sarcastic, or tickle your funny bone in any way- it'll probably break it, actually: snap that funny bone clear in two. Or sixty. Or eighty two point five. You've probably hit your funny bone on something and discovered 'hey, that ain't funny!' but this will not tickle, hit or even fracture your funny bone. It will break your funny bone. And believe me, when it happens, it'll be hilarious. Just think of what you'd have to tell the people in the hospital.
Juries and recitals are in two months. You really don't need to break your funny bone. And don't think that just because you're a voice major that your musical skillz are untouchable- studies have shown that broken funny bones have a severely negative effect on vibrato and air support.
You do not have to read this.
Hell, I probably won't even read it.
Heh, I'll stop being such an arse now. Go ahead and read if you want...But I will not be held responsible for any broken funny bones.

Anywho, on with the show.

Comments on Egoism:

-'Egoism' or 'Egotism-' solved by a quick search on Google. They're the same. :)
- Bar 7-8, the triplet vs eight note thing was nifty, but doesn't come back again. I have a habit of doing this- making neat ideas and then abandoning them. Yet another reason I should not procreate.
- The use of triplets over dotted-eighth-then-sixteenth-notes. Makes for an agogic accent which I kind of like. Someone said- and I think it was Clark- that when you put them together, where they don't match up rhythmically between the last triplet and the sixteenth note, it sounds like the person playing the piano is an inexperienced person, fumbling as they try to play the notes correct. I like this, probably because it's a familiar concept. This is how I play piano.
- Breaking up the motion was neat- maye do this more in the first half, seeing as I do it a fair amount in the last part. I like this idea...Kind of foreshadowing the start-stoppiness (yes it's a word) which comes later.
- Very organic (I don't believe in pesticides/herbicides, and I've heard that they gum up your keyboard anyway.)
- Try to play it. CRINGE. I have. I think in order for this to be helpful, you'd have to be better versed n the instrument. I can't really tell whether it'd be possible to do, to a certain extent, because:
A. I have muppet hands, aka short fingers and almost no space between them.
B. I have to say "ALL COWS EAT GRASS" still when trying to identify notes in the bass clef
C. On long notes on the piano, I try to do vibrato and I look ridiculous.
But I'll giver a try nonetheless. Or bribe a piano major with cookies. Yeah, probably that.
- It's unusual to have root position chords in the piano's lower register- space notes out more, which makes sense, given that it's lower and harder to hear pitches.


This definitely gives me lots of stuff to tweak with this piece. The other two seem to be alright and have been played in the concert and are thus deemed physically possible.

Are you reading this? How's your funny bone? I can hear it beginning to splinter...You might want to stop now.

Project two...See, if I didn't have compostional ADD- possibly even ADHD, its hyperactive cousin- I might be able to make up my mind as to what I'm going to do. Right now I've got my sights set on two different things and seeing as both are fairly big and ambitious, it'd make a lot of sense to go to Hollywood, grab the shrinker machine from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and shrink them to pocket-sized ideas. And while I'm at it, I'll shrink some hippos. Man, I can't believe I was fooled by those house hippo commercials as a kid. Well, we'll see who's laughing after I shrink some hippos and set them loose. Maybe BBC will do a documentary on them and add it to the Planet Earth collection. I'll be famous: Jess the hippo-shrinker. Definitely has a ring to it. I might just get a shirt embroidered with that on the sleeve now.

See what I mean about the AD(H)D?

And if you're reading this, you should stop.

Idea 1: Symphony No. 1. LAME name, I know, but I know some people who have lamer names than that...Like seriously, what were their parents thinking? But yes, I'd like to write a symphony. For this assignment I'd probably only be able to do one movement, and I think writing more than one movement would not only exceed the time limit of 5-6 minutes, but it'd bust my liver. I only have two livers to spare now and I'm rather fond of them. I've named them Heckle and Stewart. This is a lie. Though I do actually name physical anomalies- I have a tumour in my left eye called Earl. I think it would be a four movement symphony- how's that for an appropriate shift back onto the topic? And it would probably be tonal/atonalish. I don't know, I like playing around with sonoroties which sound tonal, but they might not follow a proper harmonic progression and there'd be random chords up the wazoo too. What's the symphony based on? Haven't decided yet. I have to find something...

Idea 2: Band piece. This time I'd make something which is only one movement. I've already got some music spinning around in my head and it sounds kind of nifty. I don't know how to describe it but it's a musical idea I'm fairly sure I could make grow and develop, like one of those dinosaurs you had when you were a kid, and when you put it in a bowl of water it'd grow to be ten times the original size. Except the piece wouldn't get all slimy and gross, like the dinosaurs do when thy've been left in water for however long it takes for them to grow, and they always got really wrinkly when they shrunk back down. It might be neat to write a piece based on this...I like dinosaurs. The part in "Fantasia" with the dinosaurs was always one of my favourite parts. Or the part with the Crocodile and the Hippo. And I now have to go find the latter and shrink it. To the size of a house cat. And feed it crumbs and chips and peanut butter from toast, and give it a mitten to make a nest out of.

Told you that you shouldn't have read this. Y'regret it now?

No comments:

Post a Comment