Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Entry 8. To band, or not to band?

So I seem to like to pile as much work on myself as I can, apparently. As enthralled as I am with the idea of writing a symphony, I really want to write another band piece for the Gower Community Band Terra Nova thing again. It would have been easier if I'd said so in class and killed two birds with one stone by writing something for band for both this next composition project AND the Terra Nova competition, but two big compositions are better than one...Right?

I'm going to keep writing the symphony movement for class- it'll do me good to begin a symphony, I think. I've been working at it steadily in what little time I have outside of orchestra now that we're in full swing for the Magic Flute (which y'all should definitely go see!) and its making slow but steady progress.

But this band thing- I kind of spaced out at one point during class on Tuesday (sorry Clark!) and came up with the idea of writing a set of dances for band. Not that the band members would dance while they played, though that'd be pretty nifty. I really like dance music- I actually have 'Dance Mix '93' in my CD player right now. But I thought that for this I might borrow various dance styles...I got a few CD's from the MRC which have Klezmer, Hungarian, Ugandan and Brazilian dances on them, and am planning on using those styles- and maybe a few others- in my pieces. They'd probably all be pretty short so I'd do maybe three dances in order to make up the full five minute minimum.

Just an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment