Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Entry 10.

All cower in fear- the compositional ADD (or is it ADHD?) monster has struck again. Either that or my fear of commitment. Probably both. Yeah, probably both. But whatever the cause, I've decided to put the symphony on hold, because I do not have time for all of these projects, seeing as I was currently working on two big ones, and formulating plans for a thid which would be my end-of-the-year orchestration and arranging class assignment- take a piano piece and orchesrate it.

What were my two big projects? One was the symphony and the other was yet another piece for band. I'm interested in submitting another composition this year, having learnt so much from writing one last year. Both of these are very big and both would have a deadline so rather than putting myself into complete overdrive I've decided to kill two birds with one stone and just do the band piece.

I realize that there are others in the class writing a band piece who want to hear theirs played by the wind ensemble and that there is only enough room for 5 or 6 people to have theirs played. This being said, I don't want mine to be one of them, seeing as I've made the decision to write this piece fairly late in the game and I had the chance to hear one of my pieces last year too. MIDI playback will do just fine for me, and it's fairest this way.

So what am I writing now? I'm letting my compositional ADD have a fairly loose rein and writing a suite- either two or three different little pieces but they're all connected by segue. I had initially planned to do a suite of dances from various countries/cultures, but decided that I might do best just sticking with one style and have chosen Klezmer, so it'll be a suite of Klezmer dances. I don't want them to be too cliche or too abstract- hopefully I'll be able to get in a good blend, y'know, the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment