Thursday, March 25, 2010

Entry 12. Klazz music.

So I didn't get to present my composition in class day seeing as my dinosaur computer is on the verge of dying for good (Oh yes, it's been resurrected a number of times) but I've done some playing around with it since I presented it last, which was two weeks ago.

I'll explain my absence first, since it's kind of an interesting story. See, my roommate's little sister was in for about a week and a couple of days, and she thought my fish were pretty cute- I have two goldfish named Stop and Roll (Drop died last year) and two platys named Ghetto and Zombie. Of course, Zombie died, may she rest in peace. Since platys are generally best kept with a few of their own kind, I took my roommate's little sister with me to pick out two more fish. I picked out one and she picked out the other and they were named Light Saber and Satine respectively. (In case you were wondering about the strange names, I'm not completely at fault- Yes, I names Stop, Roll and Ghetto, but Aiden told me to name Zombie and Light Sabre accordingly, so I did.)

On the way home from the Village pet center, we stopped in the music building for a minute. I decided to check on the fish and SURPRISE- Satine had a baby. Platys are livebearers so the babies are born live, as opposed to being born in an egg. Unfortunately, mom-fish usually eat their young unless they're seperated from them so by the time we got home, she'd eaten that baby and whatever other ones she'd had along the way. We put Sabre in the community tank and Satine in her own tank in a floating plastic hatchery, where she could have the babies which would fall down through a kind of grate into a safety area below where she can't eat them. Overnight, she escaped- how she did so I'll never understand because it had a lid on it- and ate whichever babies she had while outside of the hatchery. Luckily, three babies survived the night in the hatchery and once Satine was moved into the community tank, they had free reign of their own tank.

So I had three unexpected newborn fish fry (funny name for baby fish, eh?) and no baby food for them. Since it was more or less a life and death situation, I rushed out the next morning- thursday morning- to go back to the pet store, get baby food and some fish medicine and tap water conditioner just in case it was needed and brought it home so that they didn't starve. I'd already had one fish die and I wasn't going to let these three little guys die, not after they'd survived the HUNGRYMOMRAMPAGE.

So that's why I wasn't in class last Thursday- I'm sorry, and I know I was supposed to present my piece and didn't give any warning that I wouldn't be there (I had no idea any babies were even going to live through the night) but I couldn't let the babies die. If you're curious, they're about twice as big now, as they're a full week old, and they just had their first tank cleaning and handled it well. Sam named them Hidey, Heaty and Howdy. Hidey hides in the plants, Heaty likes the heater and Howdy's pretty curious and friendly. They all look the same right now but once their colours start to show we'll actually be able to assign names.

Enough about fish, though.

I've prolonged the introduction and it was while doing that where I made a mistake but listened to it, and thought "Hmm, that chord sounds jazzy...WAIT A MINUTE!!" I'd been having trouble making my piece Klezmer-ish, but not completely Klezmer-ish...So I figured that it'd be neat if it was Klazz. Klezmer and Jazz. So I'm putting some jazz chords and rhythms in, while keeping a klezmer melody- sometimes switching the two. It's fun, and I feel like I've got good direction with this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment